What to do when handed a traffic ticket

The Bloomfield Municipal Court in Bloomfield, New Jersey has identified various scenarios and guidelines when an individual is given a traffic ticket. For example, if you have received a summons that was issued by a Police Officer or State Trooper and wish to contest the allegations, it is best to contact the Violations Bureau by phone or in writing before the date that appears on the Summons. In this communication, it is prudent to address that you wish to contest the Summons and enter a plea of “not guilty.” The first appearance after a “not guilty” plea is then scheduled in which a conference will take place with the Township Prosecutor. The Police Officer or Trooper may not be notified to appear on that date, and if a resolution is not determined then the matter will be sent for trial by the Court.

Another example includes when an individual is not satisfied when found guilty or pleading guilty of a traffic offense or criminal offense. If a person is not satisfied with the court’s finding or the sentence imposed then that person can appeal to the Superior Court of New Jersey. This is known as a “Trial De Novo” before a Superior Court Judge.
The court will refer to the transcript of the hearing that took place. The individual will need to pay for the cost of the transcript and file the correct forms provided by the Municipal Violations Bureau within twenty (20) days of the date of your conviction and/or sentence.

If a person fails to appear to a court appearance, fails to notify the Court of a new address, fails to pay a fine, or even fail to follow what is directed in a Summons then a court can order a Bench Warrant for your arrest, suspend your driver’s license and registration privileges, as well as even impose additional sanctions for noncompliance.
See more information here.

Need help getting out of a traffic ticket?

Learn about your rights with the help of attorneys at Taylor & Boguski in Mount Laurel, New Jersey. For more information and help with fighting your traffic ticket, contact us for a free attorney consultation at 800-404-5299 or 856-234-2233, or visit our Practice Areas page for more information about Taylor & Boguski.